Monday, April 02, 2007

Notes: West Coast Beer Trade

Readers of Hedonist Beer Jive may have noted that I successfully negotiated my second beer swap--this time with Jay in San Fran (my first beer swap was with Ben and Matt over at SevenPack.net). Several weeks ago, Jay posted a plea for Midwest beers. I was happy to oblige, especially because there were several West Coast ales I was hankering for.

I sent Jay an assorted of Three Floyd's, Bell's, Founders, Great Lakes, and a Dogfish Head (not exactly Midwest, but I guess he can't get DFH out there). In return, I got a gift bag of the beers in the pic below:



Firestone Walker "10"
Lost Coast Great White
Deschutes Black Butte Porter
Deschutes Inversion IPA
Hair of the Dog Doggie Claws (barleywine)
I'm very excited about all of these beers--especially the "10." FW once shipped to Ohio--long enough for me to develop a taste for their brews (I'm partial to their porter), but they stopped distributing right around the time "10" was announced. I was crestfallen. Not so anymore.

Look for reviews of the above beers to follow, although the "10" and the Doggie Claws may take some time (the DC might take a long time--all reports on BeerAdvocate note that it takes a while to reach its prime). And don't forget to check out Jay's blog to see his impressions of the Midwest favorites.

No comments: