Thursday, January 04, 2007

Notes: Beer Laws By State

I was dismayed recently when reminded that here in Ohio, we can't buy beers that exceed 12% ABV (which explains why I can't find DFH 120 min IPA anywhere). Curious, I did a little research into beer laws in other states and found an excellent Wikipedia article that lists the laws by state. The table is still a work in progress, but it gives a decent overview. It also links to a site with a comprehensive list of state alcoholic beverage and/or liquor control agencies.

In addition, I stumbled upon the list of beers approved for sale within the last six to nine months for the state of Ohio. I believe the list is published several times a year. It's interesting to scan through and I wonder if there's a comprehensive list of beers approved for sale here. It would make a great start to a wish list!

Finally, in a slightly related note, it looks like Indiana auctions off all of the confiscated liquor at the end of the year. The complete list is quite impressive. I wonder if other states do the same.

2 comments:

KevBrews said...

By now, most of the beers on the list must already be on the shelves, but I'm eager to see the next list--I imagine it will give some hints into new beers coming out.

the said...

That's literally amazing. I need to get Jolly Pumpkin and Ron Jeffries confiscated so I can have them at my disposal.